SAN DIEGO 2010

OUR INSPIRATION.....

Monday, January 25, 2010

Welcome!

Hello everyone! I am so excited we are going to do this all together as a family. You have 20 weeks to get trained in whatever run you are going to be doing. I have an amazing book for anyone out there that is going to do the full marathon, it is called, The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer.
In this book it helps ANYONE who wants to run a marathon take the steps to make it possible. Even if you are a "non-runner"you can do it! I am going to list somethings it says to help you get ready for this run.
We have 20 weeks, and in this book it says you can make it happen, the right way, in that time frame. You will need 16 weeks of pretty disciplined training, and 4 weeks to work up to that training. We are in the "pre-training" mode right now. I know, some of you just want to carb load (Kensi) but it's not time for that yet:)
Every Sunday night you can get on this blog and see the EXACT steps you need to take that week for training. I am trying to make this fun and easy. I will do it in three categories for the first 4 weeks, then we will all be together for the 16 week training.
There are some pretty long run days as you get closer to the Marathon. I would suggest finding some 1/2 marathon races that are going on in your area to help you train for the big run, around April and May.

This week: Jan. 24-30

Beginner training (not at all a runner or walker, yet:) )
Moderate walking pace (17/20 min. mile) 3x's this week for 30 minutes. (making your walking total 90 min for the week)

Beginner/intermediate Training:
Fast walk pace (13-16 min. mile) 4x's this week for 45 min. (making your total 180 min. for the week)

Intermediate Training:
Jog for 10 min and then walk at fast pace for 5 min (repeat 2x's) 4x's a week, making your total min. 120 for the week

Advanced:
Jog for 30 min., without stopping. 4x's this week, making your total 120 min for the week

Remember it is SO important to be eating healthy proteins, whole wheat/whole grain carbs, veggis, fruits, and most of all drinking PLENTY of water. You should be consuming 8 8oz glasses of water a day, min. You can't count a soda for "water" intake. You should try to cut out caffeine while you are training. Make your body depend on the proteins and GOOD carbs that are in your body for energy.

In the Intro chapter of the book, it tells you to go out and get fitted for the right shoe. You can go into a sporting good store and ask for help. They will talk to you about what type of running you will be doing and what foot type you are. They make shoes for 3 different foot types:
Flat footed, normal arch, and high arch. Make sure you get the right shoe for your foot, it will make a big difference in your running.

I don't want to throw up to much info, so that should be good to get us all started. Now, go out and get your running done for the week!

I think it would be fun to post a comment every time you get your run done for the day, lets keep each other motivated! After each post you can see the spot that says, comment, click on that, add your comment, AND YOUR OWN NAME (we are all logged in under the same name), then hit publish comment.

Also, if you want to add your own post to this blog please do! I know there are many out there that are really into running (Teddy) that can add a ton! Even just a great quote would be awesome!
Here is how: Go to the upper right spot on the blog that reads, New Post, click on it. You then title your post, add whatever you want to add, then hit publish post. You can add any pictures by clicking on the picture icon, you download a picture, hit done, and it will publish with your post.

This is going to be so great! Any time you want to give up or give in, remember the people we are doing this for, so lets get going!


11 comments:

  1. I ran today. 30 min!
    Summer Birchall

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Lou ran 8 miles today...ok, and so did I!
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific job, Sum! This is GREAT! I'm loving the playlist, too - in fact, Party In The USA is basically the soundtrack of our household whenever CC's home.

    Thanks so much - I am so stoked! ...and I walked 3 miles in 45 minutes today.

    :)Tori

    ReplyDelete
  4. I swam a mile today!!! I will be back to running in 8 weeks when the shin is healed!!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure if I am doing this right??? Summer, AWESOME job!! It looks so great! You can also go on to www.marathonrookie.com for different training plans. That is what I used and I loved it!! Also, I got injured from running on the wrong shoes, I can't tell you how important it is the get the right shoes. I went to a specialty running store where they took video of me running and they could tell me the right shoe to buy. The best thing I ever did. I still have to be off it for the next 8 weeks, but I am swimming everyday instead. This is going to be the best! Also a good idea from my Mom (Marsha) for those who are walking to carry the 4-Way Test to hand out! I thought that was a great idea. This is going to ROCK!!! Love to all, Heat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hannah and Emma are also in! They can't wait! Power to the kids 12 and older!

    ReplyDelete
  7. FIRST DAY OF RUNNING A SUCESSS!!! MY CHICKEN LEGS HOWEVER FEEL LIKE THEY ARE GOING TO SNAP...YIKES!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another mile down swimming! Im feeling like a sponge of chlorine!! I am ready to get back on a tredmill, 7 weeks to go! :-(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Got my run in! Running with Leann was so much better than doing it alone!! Thanks Leann

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes were back!!! Lets all get on the ball and do this for Grandpa!! Still 3 more weeks for me until the tredmill, I swam 1/2 mile today it was a tough one for me!!! Trying to get motivated!!! Seth is on board!!! Can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Made it to the gym again today! I biked 12 miles!

    ReplyDelete